I had a great time at FOSDEM. Simply an amazing gathering of people who love working on Open Source projects. I could not believe the energy these people have. I, on the other hand, am exhausted! It seems like a blur, but here are some of the bits I remember:
- The Mozilla devroom was packed with people and extremely hot. Dubbed “sauna.fosdem.org”, we were lucky to get a bigger room on Day 2 (sorry OpenSUSE).
- Steve Lau of Songbird gave a great demo! Web site integration was very cool.
- The phenomenal turnout from the Mozilla localizers. I had not yet seen, with my eyes, such a display of Mozilla “Community” until FOSDEM.
- Getting to meet contributors that I got to “know” on IRC: bkinger, jwatt, gandalf, laurentj and alex fritze to name a few.
- Dan Mills’ devroom talk on Mozilla Weave generated a lot of discussion. Dan got people thinking of ways to build on Weave.
- Even with technical computer/projector difficulties, Holmes Wilson’s devroom talk on Miro also generated good discussion.
- Taverne du Passage – this restaruant was so good, I ate there twice.
- The Grand’Place (Grote Markt) in Brussels is a beautiful area. I was amazed by the buildings.
Unfortunately, due to heat, eating and meetings, I missed some other devroom talks that I wanted to hear. The Mozilla devroom talks were darn good. Thanks to Brian King and Anne-Julie Ligneau for getting the devroom talks scheduled.