The Mozilla Mobile Team is happy to announce the release of Fennec 1.0 beta 4 for Maemo. As promised, we have been working hard on user experience and UI polish. Here’s a few changes you’ll find in this release:
- Improved touch-friendly theme
- Improved panning and zooming performance and behavior
- Add search providers from the site identity panel
- Manage search providers from the Add-ons Manager
- Simplified the Download Manager (removed searching and find file on disk)
- Streamlined the bookmarking process
- Simplified the bookmark management
- Popup notification when background tabs open
- Bookmark list now displays the URL and tags associated with a bookmark
- Added a product information page (about:fennec or use the button in Preferences)
- Support for add-ons options in the Add-on Manager
- Support for updating add-ons
- Support for the HandheldFriendly meta-tag (support for the viewport meta-tag is coming)
In addition to the changes, there are plenty of bug fixes and enhancements going on under the hood. The tile system we implemented for beta 3 is still providing benefits and areas where we can increase performance.
Speaking of new things, Nokia released Maemo 5 and the very cool N900 device. We have spent some time making sure Fennec runs well on the N900. Some of the changes include adding task and close buttons to the Fennec URLbar when in fullscreen and making some theme changes to handle the default N900 themes.