Firefox on desktop has nice support for previewing and subscribing to syndication feeds (RSS and Atom). There is even support for creating Live Bookmarks. Firefox for Android does not support anything related to syndication feeds… until now.
We just landed basic support for subscribing to feeds discovered on a web page. This is only initial support, so many things are not supported.
How it works:
- If feeds are discovered on a page, Firefox will enable a menu action on the URLBar long-tap menu. Yes, we have a URLBar long-tap menu!
- Tap the “Subscribe to Page” menu action.
- If there is more than one advertised feed, choose the feed you want.
- Pick the online web service where you want to add the subscription. The choices really depend on the locale, but initially Google Reader (but not for long) and Yahoo are supported.
- We only support online web services right now. We are looking into local application support too, but have not seen a universal way of listing feed reader applications. We are working on a proposal and want to get support from native feed reader apps like Feedly and Newsblur.
- No support for feed previews. No plan to add support
- No support for adding new web service handlers. We are working to add this support.
- No support for Live Bookmarks. No plan to add support.